Hosting a boardgames night for family or friends is easy, inexpensive and fun.
A couple of weeks before
Decide how you want to run the evening:
- Do you want people to bring their own games, or will you supply games?
- How many people can your house hold comfortably? (Remember, you will probably need tables and chairs)
- Do you want to play a particular type of game (cards, boardgame, etc)?
- Will you have an adults-only games night or will there be games for children too?
A week or so before: Invite your friends
- Ask your friends what their favourite games are, or tell them about one that you really enjoy.
- Try to encourage them to show up on time, so that you can all start a game together.
- Select some games and brush up on the rules.
On the day
- Set up the tables for people to play
- Try to make sure that any food you provide is game-friendly – don’t have messy food like dips or greasy potato chips – or if you do, keep it well away from your games!
- Set up a game before your friends arrive, if you want to entice them to play it.
When people arrive
- Welcome them, get them a drink, and explain the rules if they are not familiar with the game.
- Consider a ‘filler’ game – a short game that you can play while you wait for everyone to arrive.
- Now have fun!